Large classes...and pacing guides!

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 18:04:45 PDT

For the life of me, I can not understand how anyone can be expected to
"teach" 37 students in a class. How can you even keep them in their
seats...and how can you work with them on an individual basis, when they
need it. This is terrible!

I wonder if our principals and other administrators...when they were
teachers...ever had to have that many in a classroom. If they did, they
would be more sympathetic.

I admire everyone of you who has a class that large and who doesn't lose
your "sanity" working with them. Your room must be tremendous in size (and
your budget, too).

My room is packed "people to people" (back to back) and I only have 22 in a
classroom...and I feel overwhelmed. I guess I have been very lucky. When I
was in middle school, I did have a maximum of 26 students...and wow! we had
to play musical chairs and hope someone was absent each day...I only had 25
tables.

And I don't know about y'all (good ole southern term)...but this year (in my
high school) we are having to do pacing guides for each different class we
teach. We have a format...and it is done day-by-day...90 days total. We
have to list the activity or lesson for each day that you'll be working on
it, the concept or emphasis that you are focusing on each day, the element
or principle on which your lesson is based, the competencies from the NC
Standard Course of Study that your lesson covers each day...and then, you
have a place for any notes you need to show. This has to be done for the
entire semester...and has to be followed...to the best of your ability!

Does anyone else out there have to do this for your art classes?

Now, this might be an eas-ier task for one who teaches Biology or math and
has a book to follow...but in art, it's MUCH more difficult. I base my
lessons a lot of times on the level and capabilities of the students in a
particular class and sometimes I really have to change a lesson to fit the
kids. Also, I'm constantly being called on to do other activities around
the school... and there are so many more variables in art.

Just my two cents worth tonight...
Carolyn Roberts

> Hi Marcia-
> I have had plenty of large classes- my largest this year was just
> reduced from 44 to 37 today - Yeah! Still too big, but better. When
> they are 8th graders it is different too- they take up much more space
> than 6th graders. Our counselors don't seem to get that.
> Heather

---