Re: Student Teacher question

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 12:18:53 PDT

I didn't really mean that I have a problem in an offensive way--I just
disagree---but to be honest, I'm really fast--I work faster than anyone
I know and my stuff isn't all bad and what you see doesn't represent me
thinking about it for days before I whip it out. Sid

>>> artsymartsy@comcast.net 09/03/2004 7:32:00 PM >>>

Sidnie wrote...
>" OK, now I have a problem with this..... if the kid can work quickly
and
> produce
> great work, he should get an A and more work

OK, now I have a problem with you having a problem. (Only kidding) . I
teach
grades 6-12. Each grade and each class has different objectives. Don't
take
what I wrote too literally. A student teacher wanted an opinion on
product
vs process and I gave my personal view. To me the creative process is
more
important - and Woody, getting an idea in the shower and acting on it
the
next day is part of the process, if that were the case with C, D
student he
would not have gotten a much better grade. When the sutudent did his
work it
was just to get a passing grade and nothing more. I tried very hard to
reach
this student and eventually did so it does have a happier ending. The
majority of my students at one of the state's smallest schools are
intimidated by art. A typical question is "What do I have to do to get
good grade?" Even if I have an open ended project they still ask what
I, as
the teacher and grade giver, want to see. They are afraid to make
mistakes
so in this setting the creative process is so much more important than
final product. Everything everyone has contributed to this "student
teacher
question" is valid and based on professional experience, so please do
not
have a problem with what I wrote.
Martha

---