art room makeover update...

---------

From: Kim Millen (kim_millen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 10:05:26 PDT

Hi all, glad to hear those who braved the storm made it through... my thoughts and prayers were with you.   I'm the teacher with the Mission Organization makever(art studio)... some of you have emailed and asked when it will air (?) and how it went, hummmm....I guess i could write a book now on what REALLY goes on with these reality type shows. not AT ALL what is seems.

 I did all the work, with a small amount of input and even smaller amount of "hands on" help , as promised by the organizer's assistant when I signed up.  silly me, i paid the $2000 up front... live and learn but as usual there are wonderful things which came to be because i did the show. at least we got the cabinets donated, it's finished  (although i haven't been home to begin on the after math, which of course they don't show...)... and made some great friends who came to the rescue.

 as far as the show, i don't look forward to seeing it. the first two days i got through ok, although i did have a little fit when they had to disorganize me and dump my stuff together.they said i was too organized for the show... they then proceeded to have us empty out the storage  area on film, fast time into the rest of my house without organizing anything. then they left me with a house full of stuff and said, now organize it... lol. luckily it was already boxed and labeled, but of course 1/4 of it fit back... i was promised alot of hands on help....they don't tell you what really took place at all.Infact that would have made a MUCH more interesting show, lol.

 i had to convert my office into a storage area for the overflow and that didn't even hold it. the organizer did spend 2  days figuring out the cabinets and 5 hours total hands on( what a deal for $2000).... she called me from the beach to find out where i put all the stuff so she could take the producer for a tour through the room(NEvER having seen it before! lucky for her she had clear bins ). i had to leave the room in disbelief,as she showed where WE put the stuff. Actually, I wa laughing, you gotta have fun!

 I spent the last two days trying to keep a straight face on the camera. when the crew arrived , the producer decided which cabinets to unload so we could pretend to load them... i figured, i could make a stink, or get through it. it wasn't worth the stress of conflict.

I have to say the producer, hostess Gail, and crew were wonderful. it was  fun seeing how a show was created, but thework inbetween the first two days of taping and the second two days ( with 30 days in between) were... i had to contract out the constuction, go through everything and deal with the "donations" they were supposed to get not coming at the last minute.... such as the floors!!! we had actually begun to paint the walls and they called and told us we couldn't use the paint the orgainzer had helped me choose... one problem after another... nuts... so, that's it... now when i look at those shows i can see them for what they are... lol. i'm still glad i did it.... but think twice before you volunteer, lol.

 i did refuse to go on a local tv program and to be featured in a newspaper because i had nothing good to say at that point. Some things in life are worth the story. heh? I think this is one of those times.It all boiled down to the fact that we left for Japan a few hours after the camera crews left, and i had to have it together for that trip. My kids were in a musical theatre company which represented the USA in a world theatre competition. That turned out to be  the most wonderful experience in my life thus far... but that's another story...anyway i thought you all deserved the inside scoop .

As for the art room, there were things i would have done differently, but i'm thankful to have it! i haven't been home to enjoy it having been gone to Japan and Arizona since then.

I am leaving for NY on Sept. 9th to hang in Manhattan for 9 days. My best friend and i are going to stay with an old college friend .Fisrt time i've ever traveled without my kids!  We have nothing planned. Any suggestions?  The 10 forecast looks like rain everyday.... i so enjoy reading your posts! kim

---