Re: [ArtsEducators] Integration (long)

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 09:18:45 PDT

jam hillm wrote:

> What I'm wondering about is how well our children
> integrate what we teach them into their everyday art.
> As I look at my student's work, this is a question
> that comes to mind, both as I look at art they do
> outside of class, and as I am teaching a new concept
> or technique.
>
> For example, I talk about horizon line from 1st grade
> on through 5th (the levels I teach) but yet seldom see
> them used on art initiated outside of the classroom.

Basically, a concept is not really learned unless it is
incorporated into a new unique situation. This is what
my school system was trying to evaluating learning on
when I retired. If applies across the curriculum in art,
math, reading, etc. ie: in school we learn to compute
percentages, then later we apply it in a new situation
like gas mileage or home loan rates. If we are unable to
use it we didn't really learn it or integrate it. We did
it in school cause we were walked through it but it didn't
stick. The same goes with concepts in art.

But kids are really sharp. Now, I taught kids a bit older,
6th, 7th and 8th graders, (middle school)
but I think it can be applied to any level. You need to be
upfront with the kids. Tell them, that if they don't apply
what they covered in a lesson to a new unique situation
then they don't really know it. They want to learn and are
eager to show off skills. Then perhaps when they go on to
high school they will avoid tracing and try drawing from
observation more. Perhaps they will explain to their science
teacher why it is helpful to copy a drawing upside down
and what the right hemisphere is all about. I had a student
come back to me and tell me her science teacher wanted
to know why she was learning this stuff in art class.

Explain the current theories of learning to your students.
They will be more likely to apply the six strait writing model
in letters to grandma if they think it is really relevant. Of
course they must care about what they are writing about
or painting. When our kids went to the art museum and their
writing about the trip showed improvement, I always told the
classroom teacher that it was because art was magic. I should
have been upfront with her and explained that any experience
outside the classroom would motivate interesting writing.
        But, I digress - Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

I've got to go out and buy 30 lbs of green chilies (they roast
them why you wait). I just can't help it, they are so fresh and
damn cheap too.

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703