Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Heather - Character Ed Lesson and Keith Haring

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 15:19:57 PDT

Greetings Heather and all,

Character ed is something we teach all year long - not
just the first week of school (it is part of every
lesson we teach). I think your idea sounds like a good
one - very doable with the time frame you have. What
if these figures were designs to be used later for a
sculpture project? Maybe for a permenent installation
piece in the school somewhere?

I can see the figures being cut out of wood - or Dow
board.... or if that is out of the question -
Corrugated cardboard will do. You can cut two figures
- put some spacers in between. Then tape a cardboard
strip all around the contour. Figures could be paper
mached or plaster gauze - then painted and the
character words written on them.

Here is a lesson that used Keith Haring's work:

These middle school students certainly thought it was
a meaningful lesson.

Of course - you wouldn't get the sculptures done in
time for your display - but you could put a sign that
the paper figures were a model for an upcoming
project. This could be a service project for the
students as well. Something they would leave for all
to admire and learn from.

Have fun with it.

Judy Decker

Do you Yahoo!?