Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

Quilt Project Details

---------

From: dkj (jouets_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 15:55:25 PDT


Thanks all... I don't think I ever posted any details about the timeline and
assembly etc. The basics were as follows:
It was decided in late Jan. that we were going forward with the project,
even though we only had about 8 or so parent volunteers...). Because there
were only 1 or 2 parents for each quilt, they decided not to put the sashing
(I think that's the word?) between the blocks so that sewing the quilts
together would be easier. (The fish quilt looks like there is sashing
separating the blocks because I painted a 1/2 black strip around each block
after kinders finished painting.)
From start to finish the timeline was between 4 and 5 months, January to the
end of May.
Jan-Feb:
I cut all the 9" blocks and ironed them to freezer paper (if there were more
volunteers I would have passed this job to them!)
All grade levels did at least one textile/quilt-related project before doing
their blocks in addition to basic introductory info, visuals, and books. K
did a collaborative paper quilt; K/1/2 made foam block print paper quilts
with a likeness of themselves in their pjs to tuck between the covers; 3rd
did a unit on Faith Ringgold and a paper Hawaiian quilt block, and 4th/5th
grades did paper adire eleko designs and a fabric paste resist.
Feb-March:
Quilt blocks were drawn/colored/painted. Subjects were chosen according to
what they were studying in their classrooms, except for 4th-5th. Art classes
meet for 1 hour once per week.
Kindergarten - 1 hour; 1st/2nd - 2 hours; 3rd - 2-3 hours; 4th/5th - 3 to 4
hours.
April-May:
Parents heat-set blocks (I did grades 1-2), sewed quilt tops,
purchased/donated batting and backing materials and sewed quilts together.
Parents visited each classroom with quilts finished with exception of edges
so that students could sew tie-tacks on their blocks, and then finished the
edging.
Quilts were displayed in school for a couple of weeks, and then presented to
community organizations and hospital clinics at our year-end assembly.
(Students voted on which organization would receive their quilt).
Photographs were taken to make notecards to sell next school year as a
fundraiser.
NOTES:
* In the fall I purchased a bolt of muslin from Jo-Anne fabrics using a 50%
off coupon. I think that was 50 yards - which was enough for all 300
students. (probably the last cost-effective thing I did in the whole
process!).
* I made about 6 double-batches of the flour-resist recipe in "Art From Many
Hands" for 4 classrooms. We used little squeeze bottles purchased from Nasco
or Sax to apply.
* Textile paint is expensive, and students are extremely generous with the
amounts they use! I bought some Jacquard textile paint colors from Dharma
Trading Co. in 8 oz bottles, and -lots- of extender. I ended up buying small
craft brushes (like fabric paint brushes, but from the kid's dept at
Michael's) because kids used about 10 times as much paint as they needed
with our regular paint brushes.) The reason we used textile paint was
because initially the committee decided each quilt would be donated to an
individual child to be used as a quilt ... sometime along the way it was
switched to art-to-be-displayed. (Acrylic and textile medium would have
worked for art quilts, I think)
* Self-portraits in fabric paint means that one must mix a multitude of skin
tones, eye colors, and hair colors. Eye and hair colors I stored in film
canisters.
* Other materials: I bought 2 doz. black fabric markers from an online co.
Other fabric markers from local craft stores on sale. We had Pentel dye
sticks from previous years.
* All-school project means that one must track down all students that missed
a class or two and make sure they finish! So had to make lists and make sure
that all the materials were still available 2-3 weeks later when fetching
students from recess or class. There were generally a few from each class
that had to be caught up one way or another. Fortunately there weren't many
new students during the period we were making blocks and they were all 4th
or 5th grade. I gathered them all to make two large fabric titles using
stenciled letters and spray fabric paint and stamps...

If anyone wants more details, feel free to write!
Deborah

---