Re: Frances Update 2

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 12:33:01 PDT

Marsha...glad you hanging in there. Talking about the trees being opened up from Charlie...reminds me of two hurricanes that came through here a few years. When the first one came through, we watched the trees in our neighbors yard fall one by one. One fell on the roof of their house causing a large hole...and another fell in their pool and did a lot of damage. We had no tree loss during that storm.

And then shortly after, we had Hurricane Fran come through and it took probably 50 or more trees on our property (we live on 4 acres...most of it wooded...or used to be). It laid the trees down all around our house and did NO damage to the house. The large trees were laying at every angle possible...and we had to climb over trees for days. We had no power or phones for days. I live 100 miles from the coast.

That was the hurricane that flooded our area and caused us to be out of school for two or more weeks. It caused the worst flood this area has ever seen...and hundreds lost their homes due to the flooding. Thank goodness our house was on higher ground.

My thoughts and prayers are with you...thanks for the update.
Carolyn Roberts

  Hi Folks,
  We are still here with electricity and cable-internet. A miracle to be sure since we got the outer band of the eye. The winds picked up furiously and power wnr off several times but came back on. Our land line still works too.

  The eye has passed us now and believe it or not some crazy guy just went by my house on a motorcyle! It is raining heavily on and off. We still have hours to go and we can see more tree branches down. I think most of the big limbs and trees came down with Charlie.
  The wind passes through the trees more easily if there are sky holes in them. Oops! I just heard a transformer pop. That is always a formidable sound. During Charlie, we heard them go off in succession and were without power for 4 and half days!

  Here are some hurricane survival hints:

  Pray for the safety of your family. You are powerless to do anything more than you have done.

  Freeze gallon water jugs (pour out a little) and keep them in the freezer. They can be moved to the refrig. to keep it cold in there if power goes off. Also freeze bottles of drinking water.

  Get yourself one of those soft rubber jar lid opener thingies to cover the bath tub drain and fill the tub. It will keep water from seeping out. This can be used to flush toilets if the pumps fail.

  Keep FRESH batteries always and have the radio and flashlights where they can be found easily in the dark by the "braile method".

  Find a good book and keep it handy with a book light.

  Keep one of those grill lighters handy for candles. Here in FL we have camping lanterns in each room.

  Store up "comfort food" and pop-tarts for breakfast. I baked tons of chocolate chip cookies.

  Try not to open the refrig if power goes off. Roll up tight newspaper tubes and tape them around the refrig door and freezer to keep the seal tight. You can extend the food life in ther another day. Throw out everything if the temp in the refrig. gets over 40 degrees.

  Hope I can still keep in touch. So far, so good. Prayer works.

  Marsha

  ---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---