garden art ideas

---------

From: Cathy Gaul (allgaul_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 12:21:33 PDT

Hi everybody,
I have an idea to create a sculpture garden at our middle school building
which is separate from the main school building. It is actually a converted
house that was once owned by Elizabeth Haddon's son, she was a Quaker Lady
who was instrumental in starting the Haddonfield Meeting, and her son was
one of the 5 financial backers when the school was started. (small private
Friends School). The area I have is a lovely oval of grass surrounded by
mature plantings and big OLD trees. It is pretty shaded but we will make
planting beds for bulbs so we can enjoy color while school is still in
session and plant some easy care perennials and plants and maybe something
for fall when we get back. But the idea the middle school teachers and I had
for sculptures and garden whimsies will be the highlight of the garden.
The 6th, 7th and 8th graders will be the ones working on projects. I figure
this year we can all make stepping stones, maybe do some painting on rocks
to look like plants ala a book I have, make some totem type things, some of
Judy's ideas of birds etc with lots of poly to preserve them, and I got a
great lesson using Hypertufa from this site
http://www.anythingicando.com/season1/proj_20/proj_20.htm
for pots or rocks or birdbaths or feeders like you see the cup and saucer on
a stake for birds. I also want to hang things from trees and maybe do some
whirly-gig ideas or hanging 3-D stars for around the holiday time and
something for winter. The idea would be that the stuff would stay til the
artist graduated from 8th grade, and renewed by the new 6th grader coming
in. This year, the initial year, anything goes! Now remember, in my little
school, we have @20 kids TOTAL in the middle school...so this is very
do-able!

On to the question:
Any other ideas for this age group? If you have photos, even better. I tried
to check the IAD but haven't had a whole lot of time for detail and my
searches weren't coming up with much. I was hoping for a totem idea that we
could stack and paint on a metal stake. I am open to any suggestions if you
have tried things with this age group.
Thanks in advance, and happy back to school (I think?). I start Tuesday.

Cathy

---