Re: HS Ceramics

---------

From: V Moreira Komando (komandov_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 15:49:43 PDT

I am behind in reading posts and just saw Judy's post from this week about HS Ceramics.

I posted earlier this summer the new books I was using with my classes. Hand-Building Techniques, Ceramics Class, by Joaquim Chavarria has inspired my new lessons and my students. I am using the text with my added requirements for projects.

Not one to do things exactly in order, I started the class with the Cylindrical pot / vase project in the book. Now these are second year pottery students, so we reviewed slab building before starting. I added that I wished to see texture and negative space. I invested in some rubber texture plates (small) and the kids also could texture with burlap and various tools. I required 3 sketches in the art journals and reviewed / discussed the possibilities with each student before they started (22 in class). They are just finishing this project and the results have been amazing!

We are doing coil pots next - either geometric or organic forms. I can't wait to see where we go from here!

The book is available from Amazon for $10.50. Even you cannot use it as a class text, as my students do, then I would suggest you order the book and be inspired with the wonderful ideas and projects from the author.

Paz,
Vivian

Increase the Peace ~^~

http://members.cox.net/artzheart