Re: Student Teacher question

---------

From: martha (artsymartsy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 19:32:00 PDT

Sidnie wrote...
>" OK, now I have a problem with this..... if the kid can work quickly and
> produce
> great work, he should get an A and more work

OK, now I have a problem with you having a problem. (Only kidding) . I teach
grades 6-12. Each grade and each class has different objectives. Don't take
what I wrote too literally. A student teacher wanted an opinion on product
vs process and I gave my personal view. To me the creative process is more
important - and Woody, getting an idea in the shower and acting on it the
next day is part of the process, if that were the case with C, D student he
would not have gotten a much better grade. When the sutudent did his work it
was just to get a passing grade and nothing more. I tried very hard to reach
this student and eventually did so it does have a happier ending. The
majority of my students at one of the state's smallest schools are
intimidated by art. A typical question is "What do I have to do to get a
good grade?" Even if I have an open ended project they still ask what I, as
the teacher and grade giver, want to see. They are afraid to make mistakes
so in this setting the creative process is so much more important than a
final product. Everything everyone has contributed to this "student teacher
question" is valid and based on professional experience, so please do not
have a problem with what I wrote.
Martha

---