Special Artists

---------

From: Jenny Watlington (pritchard1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 17:40:55 PDT

    Hello- I'm new here and have a question.

My students come bcak on Tuesday. My special ed kids are not mainstreamed this year due to an executive decision and I could use some input on Art instruction, and "ice breakers" for 3 of these classes. Each has about six kids and I will probably have an aide. One is LD grades 3-5. One is MR functioning on a K-2 level. And the 3rd is ED 3-5. they were mainstreamed last year and I tried to adapt to their levels of learning but i never felt totally successful (it was my first year too). I have been reading "the special artist's handbook" by susan rodriguez which is pretty good but seems borderline "crafty". I suppose my biggest challenge is the MR students. How do you all make art seem important to their lives? What is a good way to make them feel successful on the first day?

Thanks,
Peter

---