Re: Student Teacher question

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 14:56:06 PDT

This quote follows each of my e-mails. It assumes that an
artists makes a lot of trash while learning and trying new
stuff.
        I would not want to be graded down simply because I
made a lot of mistakes. I hope not !

Then perhaps one day I got an idea in the shower, my best
place to think. Afterwards I came to class and dashed out
a masterpiece very quickly.
        Should I get a lower grade for not doing careful planning,
research, contemplation, cooperation, making connections,
struggling through mental or physical blocks, etc.
I hope not !

If I spend considerably more time on a work that the other
students should I be graded down because I put a lot of
time and care into my work. I hope not !

We are all different, we need to be treated as such. Rubrics
are good for laying out expectations before hand. But they
need not be followed by each student. What is more important
is creating a climate that fosters creativity, the sharing of ideas
and truly motivates each student to create at their highest level
possible, yet accepts that we are all unique in the ways we learn.

Go easy on the grading and spend most of the time on motivation.

                                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703