Re: Student Teacher question

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 13:10:13 PDT

OK, now I have a problem with this..... if the kid can work quickly and
produce
great work, he should get an A and more work...perhaps more
challenging work.
I know that I have done this also and
the reason we teachers do this is to control discipline. Kids who are
fast just learn various stalling
techniques to keep the teacher off their backs, it doesn't mean that
they're using greater effort.
I think this is teaching a bad priority. Good work is good work.
Allowing upper level students
to work on the same project for months is just easy for the teacher.
The students don't have
enough experiences to learn very much. They would learn more with many
projects which
require some different process or thinking or technique. Some students
take forever to
finish everything because they're such perfectionists--perhaps we
should give them Ds and Fs
because they slow down the progress of the class and cause others to
have behavior problems.

," a natural artitsically talented student can create
a stunning final product without much effort. It just comes naturally.
If I
only graded on final product this student would get an A. But as far as
the
process, very little effort went into this thus I might give them a C
or D.
The creative process could include planning, research, contemplation,
cooperation, making connections, struggling through mental or physical
blocks, etc. I have had many students who lack any confidence in their
artistic abilities. These students must work very hard to finish their
work.
As long as they try to due the best of their own individual abilities,
put
in a good amount of effort, follow my directions and complete the
project
they could get an A or a B:even if the final project did not turn out
beautiful.
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---