Re: plaster sculpture

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 12:35:04 PDT

Understand that there is nothing good about breathing plaster dust!!!
Asbestos is just a small fine particle that gets into your lungs and
stays there. Dust does this also and is also dangerous. Plaster dust
forms plaster when it hits mucous membranes.

>>> dnes@verizon.net 09/02/2004 2:27:38 PM >>>
I read this somewhere as well. When I did the lesson last spring, I
used perlite which is a volcanic substance and from the research I did
seems to be a safer option. It is used for the same purposes as
vermiculite, and I was able to buy it at a local nursery for about the
same price. Both materials have an MSDS sheet that you can read on the
Schundler Company website.
  mix it with vermicullite to make a great carving medium. can be
carved
  with plastic butter knives if needed and depending on the amount of
  verm. added. a good challenge and example of subtractive sculpture

  I have done this and also added coffee grinds from my morning coffee
pot. It gives the plaster a stone look and also has little brown flecks
that imitate stone imperfections. I then sprayed the sculptures with
acrylic spray. Fooled many a parent at the exhibit as they thought the
kids carved and polished stone. ---
duffeyp@peninsula.wednet.edu
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

  ---