Re: Ohio Artists?-Woody

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (eheisey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 05:44:46 PDT

        I grew up drawing from the Toledo Museum of Art collections, sitting
on a little stool. We had painting class in the basement classrooms,
and I got to take a life drawing class in high school. This was through
a Saturday program that the Toledo Museum of Art offers for free. One
of my teachers there was Robert Arneson.
        I was shocked to see the final (10-foot high?) Louvre version of the
'Oath of the Horatii' after seeing it so many times in Toledo in the
mini early study version (8 x 10"?). The Architect's Dream by Thomas
Cole is such a great discussion with students. The Swiss Room was my
dream play house. I learned to love this museum.
        There used to be women making very beautiful bright Asian stitchery of
some kind in Glann School, where my mom had previously taught in the
Toledo system (maybe on Dorr St?). The school had been taken over by a
sort of artist's cooperative, and seemed a great source there for local
artists/educators.
Beth

On Sep 2, 2004, at 9:05 PM, Sandy Bacon wrote:

> Woody,
>
> Last year was my first trip to the Toledo museum and my first time
> seeing a Monet waterlillies up close and personal. It was so huge and
> amazing to this little country kid, that I cried. I loved the
> Egyptian urns, too! You are right about it being a treasure. I'm
> looking forward to my next trip.
>
> Sandy
>
> Woody Duncan wrote:
>
>> Denise in Toledo,
>> I stopped by the great little art museum you have in Toledo on
>> my way to Detroit. I was very impressed.

---