Re: Student Teacher question

---------

From: martha (artsymartsy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 17:44:18 PDT

Product and Process are both important. I put more importance on finished
product only with advanced high school art students. However, with all my
other students from 6th - 12th grade the Creative Process is much more
important. For instance, a natural artitsically talented student can create
a stunning final product without much effort. It just comes naturally. If I
only graded on final product this student would get an A. But as far as the
process, very little effort went into this thus I might give them a C or D.
The creative process could include planning, research, contemplation,
cooperation, making connections, struggling through mental or physical
blocks, etc. I have had many students who lack any confidence in their
artistic abilities. These students must work very hard to finish their work.
As long as they try to due the best of their own individual abilities, put
in a good amount of effort, follow my directions and complete the project
they could get an A or a B:even if the final project did not turn out
beautiful.
I am a true believer in...
beauty is in the eye of the beholder
not all art MUST BE considered beautiful
not all art MUST BE neat
trust in the creative process (it can set you free)
it is my job to help students feel good about their art work ( I try to make
at least one positive comment about a finished product even if it is a
disaster).
Martha

---