Re: Ohio Artists? Elijah Pierce (moved to Ohio 1923)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 17:43:30 PDT

Thanks Woody and Ann,

You both listed ones I had....I thought Elijah Pierce
was from Ohio but wasn't 100% sure. Denise - you
really have to get to Columbus Museum and see the
exhibit of his work. You can really connect his work
to Ohio values/culture/beliefs.

Pierce wasn't born in Ohio but moved here in 1923.
See biography:
http://www.cscc.edu/ElijahPierce/bio.htm
Some of Pierce carvings at Columbus:
http://www.decartsohio.org/virtualtour/ElijahPierce/
This Barber Shop is good:
http://www.spfld-museum-of-art.org/collection/pierce.html
This hippo is fun - but doesn' answer your questions:
http://www.fleisher-ollmangallery.com/pierce/pierce25.html
This video looks good:
http://www.cscc.edu/ElijahPierce/video.htm
This portrait of Elijah Pierce is great:
http://www.capital.edu/schumacher/permanent/artwork.cfm?a=62
You will want to see his Book of Wood:
http://www.columbusmuseum.org/about/curatorsview/pierce.html

This shows some work by William Hawkins - another
Columbus folk artist:
http://www.tfaoi.com/newsm1/n1m244.htm

There is more out there... He retired from barbering
1980. See if you can track down a copy of this exhibit
catalog:
http://thegalleriesatmoore.org/publications/pierce.shtml

I have looked for Aminah Robinson online before,
too...and couldn't find much. The exhibt at Columbus
Museum of Art was fabulous. I have posted this link
before:
http://fisher.osu.edu/art/robinson/robinson.htm
The Columbus exhibit is no longer online - but try to
get your hands on a catlog. Her work definitely
answers your questions.

You can read about one exhibit here - Kindred Spirits:
http://www.artic.edu/aic/kids/familyexhibitions.html
http://www.columbusalive.com/2002/20021212/121202/12120207.html
http://www.columbusalive.com/2004/20040825/082504/08250417.html

Check out some of her books:
http://green.upper-arlington.k12.oh.us/ohioauthors/robinson,aminah.htm
You might see some more illustrators of interest:
http://green.upper-arlington.k12.oh.us/ohioauthors/authorsa-z.htm

Judy Decker