Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Ohio Artists? Elijah Pierce (moved to Ohio 1923)

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 17:43:30 PDT

Thanks Woody and Ann,

You both listed ones I had....I thought Elijah Pierce
was from Ohio but wasn't 100% sure. Denise - you
really have to get to Columbus Museum and see the
exhibit of his work. You can really connect his work
to Ohio values/culture/beliefs.

Pierce wasn't born in Ohio but moved here in 1923.
See biography:
Some of Pierce carvings at Columbus:
This Barber Shop is good:
This hippo is fun - but doesn' answer your questions:
This video looks good:
This portrait of Elijah Pierce is great:
You will want to see his Book of Wood:

This shows some work by William Hawkins - another
Columbus folk artist:

There is more out there... He retired from barbering
1980. See if you can track down a copy of this exhibit

I have looked for Aminah Robinson online before,
too...and couldn't find much. The exhibt at Columbus
Museum of Art was fabulous. I have posted this link
The Columbus exhibit is no longer online - but try to
get your hands on a catlog. Her work definitely
answers your questions.

You can read about one exhibit here - Kindred Spirits:

Check out some of her books:,aminah.htm
You might see some more illustrators of interest:

Judy Decker

Do you Yahoo!?