Re: Student Teacher question

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 12:22:10 PDT

Boy, what I really hate is when teachers are cavalier about grades and
give you statements like--I never give an A so don't worry about it--no
one is perfect, and the same with the C here----You know, grades are
really important for a variety of reasons--in the case of the guy with
the "no A" policy he decided that there was one perfect student after
all and it just happened to be his daughter and that extra grade point
pushed her ahead of her classmates and made her valdictorian. If you
are applying to grad school and you caught the "c" guy in the senior
year, it looks really bad. I don't care if you like grades or not,
understand that they are important and really effect some things outside
of your classroom. Be careful, be fair, and also I think, be generous.

I've had college professors who said, "if you need an A for any
reason, ego or whatever, just let me know." Another said, "I
don't believe in grades, so everybody attending my classes will
get a C, so drop now if that bothers you." They knew the work
done or the experience of trying was much more valuable that
some mark on a piece of paper." I'm sure my comments are just
muddying up the waters here but I give my two cents anyway."
                                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---