Lettering and Name Ideas - Share your successes

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 02 2004 - 10:10:23 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Lettering is the number one search topic on IAD this
week - followed by Name Lesson ideas. I will be
working on these two topics soon. I just spent the
last three months fixing the old - now I am ready to
add the new. I have already posted many lesson ideas
for name designs. I now have Kathleen's adaptation of
the name in the fish design. That idea is on the Fish
Ideas page. You can tweak it to be any kind of animal
- maybe even let the kiddies choose their "totem
animal" (or "spirit animal" that represents them best
- animal symbolism is on the site). I do like fish.

Here are some lettering lessons for high school that
you can step down to middle school and even
elementary:
Ken Schwab's Abstract Letter Design
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/ken-letter.htm
Ken Schwab's Illuminated Crayon Resist Letters:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/ken-illumination.htm
See Kara LiCausi's Illumination lesson for middle
school:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/kara-man.htm
(scroll down)
Heather Leal's Illumination for Middle School:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Heather-middle.htm
Jennie Auble' Graffiti Name Design:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Jen-tag.htm

Please post lettering and name ideas that I can put on
Incredible Art Department. Complete lessons with
images will be linked - ideas will go on Idea pages.
Only post if I have your permission to share across
lists (this is my "permission to publish" notice for
this topic- I do not have time to ask each person
individually). I will share all the easy way first -
compiling then making one post. I have some lessons of
my own I will try to get written up, too.... Just need
to see if I can find my samples to photograph (I think
that may be a folder that I did not get - so you may
have to use your imagination).

Name ideas will be added to this page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/selfport.htm
(for now)

Here is an idea connecting all - names - lettering -
portrait - character education too (Renah - I hope you
can try this)

Take digital photographs of the students - change to
high contrast so lines are clear. Outline the main
shapes of portrait. Transfer lines to good drawing
paper using Seral transfer paper (or graphite on
back). Use tiny lettering to outline all of the
contours (Micrography - tie in Jewish culture as
well). Tiny writing would be the name over and over
again - positive character traits - and the meaning of
the name (I have posted several meaning of name
sites). Lettering would be done in Ultra fine point
Sharpie or other choice of pen. Erase Seral transfer
graphite lines when finished. Watercolor finished
Micrography if desired. I did find a Jewish artist
site with some fine portrait examples and will link
that when I add this idea.

Continue to use the search feature on the Lesson Plan
launch page when looking for lessons....and let me
know what you are looking for if you don't find what
you need (The search on IAD home page does a better
job - but I don't get those reports)

Thanks in advance,

Judy Decker

=====