Re: visual journals

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 19:51:21 PDT

> Patty Phillips wrote:
> I'm just waiting for the
> counselors to get it together and get students scheduled once and for
> all before I begin. They've been moving students around from one
> class to another and from one section to another since the first day
> of school on Aug. 17. I have new students walk into my classroom
> everyday!!! (Sorry to vent. I'm feeling a tad frustrated at this
> point!)

Patty,
        I suppose that is forever going to be a problem. I always felt like
the first 3 weeks of school were just a waste till enrollment settled
down. Of course if enrollment doesn't fit projections, then they add or
delete teachers and shift the class loads again. Starting the second
semester was always so much smoother.
        On a related concern, with the push to increase test scores and
raise achievement I've made this suggestion. Just keep the kids in the
same school and classes that they started in, in the fall. Then you will
see what a great job teachers can do. I remember classes that were
totally different in composition after just a few months of school.
But "continuity" is not a concept understood by school administrators.
                My Two Cents, Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703