Re: Student Teacher question

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 19:37:44 PDT

I taught Middle School Art for 27 years. I never much cared
for giving grades. Students came with such a diverse level of
abilities it makes any uniform method of grading so very unfair.
I suppose I gave the most weight to the effort put out.
Grading is so subjective, but then so is the subject. I tried
to treat each student separately and give them the grade
they deserved without regard of the other students. That
sort of system (or non system) is very hard to justify or
quantify to a parent or an administrator. As for product vs
process, I strongly believe that the process is much more
important in learning. Of course it's nice to produce something
of quality from time to time. But if you learn through doing,
then the future products will be effected in a meaningful way.
I've had college professors who said, "if you need an A for any
reason, ego or whatever, just let me know." Another said, "I
don't believe in grades, so everybody attending my classes will
get a C, so drop now if that bothers you." They knew the work
done or the experience of trying was much more valuable that
some mark on a piece of paper." I'm sure my comments are just
muddying up the waters here but I give my two cents anyway."
                                Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703