Re: visual journals

---------

From: Patty Phillips (tallpatty_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 19:08:41 PDT

It's on my list of things to try this year. I'm just waiting for the counselors to get it together and get students scheduled once and for all before I begin. They've been moving students around from one class to another and from one section to another since the first day of school on Aug. 17. I have new students walk into my classroom everyday!!! (Sorry to vent. I'm feeling a tad frustrated at this point!)

Anyway, we're on a block schedule and have 90 minute classes. I was going to use the last 30 minutes of class on the last day of the week that I see students and give them a prompt and let them get started with it--gessoing or painting backgrounds, looking up collage mataerials, etc. Then I plan to have them finish it as homework or work on it in class as they finish each project.

Did you see the post earlier about topics for AP art? I was going to use those kinds of things as prompts for my art 200, 300, and 400 students...

fairness, courage, choice, etc

My art 100 students will be creating pages about the elements and principles first and we'll move on to practicing drawing skills after that. I usually the e's and p's as an embedded part of a lesson, so this will just reinforce what they learn in other lessons.

That's my plan in a nutshell. I'll let you know how it works out.

Patty in KY

---