Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Micrography - Word as Art - online exhibit

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 15:02:34 PDT

Greetings Art Edcuators,

A while back Renah Bell got me interested in
Micrography. I have looked it up online to see what I
could find. Here is a nice online exhibit:
Micrography, the scribal practice of employing
minuscule script to create abstract shapes or
figurative designs. You can introduce this as a Jewish
art - but students do not have to do a religious
theme. Making pictures with tiny words can even be an
idea you introduce then the students work on it in
their free time throughout the term as it looks like
it can be very time consuming.

What if you tried it with your hands unit? Hands in
action then the words telling the story.... Or a unit
on animals/fish - with the words being about the

Renah has done migrography with her students. They
would would write the quotation over and over again in
tiny calligraphic letters wherever there was a pencil
line...then erase the pencil lines and use watercolors
to finish the painting. Renah said many of them were
proudly framed and hung by parents.

I have seen this type of art many times - I am glad to
know it has a special name and a cultural reference as

Judy Decker

Do you Yahoo!?