kids dropping art

---------

From: brenda robson (bruthrobson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 19:09:32 PDT

We have a strange aspect to our private school. Kids can choose in 7th
and 8th, Art, Choir, or Band. The rest go to daily block (study hall).
This is supposed to be final once you sign up but kids begin getting bad
grades and they drop their three times a week one hour elective class to
get better grades through studying and help from teachers in study hall.
This makes it quite sticky for me. I started with 27 the first day, the
next I had 14. Then I accepted two more, two more have dropped out, etc..
I am hoping this is the last of it but I fear more will bail. Maybe it is
silly but I hope I am left with a class by the end of the year. I also
teach 3rd - 6th (job security) but this is my most enjoyable class.
I also am having to let them go to this teacher and to that teacher to
finish a test, or a lesson, etc. I don't have to let them go and if
they're finished with our planned lesson early, fine. But it is getting
old fast.
I am going to go over their 9wk test with them tomorrow, I am afraid I
will loose more then too. Ahhh. They get an automatic A in study hall if
they don't talk.
Any suggestions, teachers? I know academics are important but it sure
makes me feel strange to play second fiddle to them or else loose a
student.
Brenda

---