wors walls and learning logs in the art room

---------

From: Kerry L Murphy (klmvisarts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 18:19:00 PDT

I attended a Professional development workshop today on word walls and learning logs for the high school level. It provided so wonderful ways to make the learning of vocabulary meaningful and more retainable. Do any of you use these types of strategies at the HS level? I would be happy to provide more details if anyone is interested. One of the main ideas is that you ask students what they think of when they hear vocab words, then they read or listen to you present information, then reflect on the new meaning for words, for example value. They will then have engaged in thinking about the work-- the meaning they already knew, so the new definition will fit into their schemata...
Kerry

---