Re: Alum?

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 16:23:53 PDT

Here's what I sent Mark, who asked me privately:

aluminum ammonium sulfate, Al2(SO4)3(NH4)2SO4 * 24H2O. Called garden
alum, pickling alum, aluminum sulfate. 2oz. Alum sulfate = 3oz.
Potassium alum, refine bauxite using sulfuric acid. Very common, found
in salt mines, certain lichens. Most likely "alum" in period
manuscripts.

I got this info from a Google search. The Web site was on dyeing.
There were numerous types of alum listed along with their chemical
components, but this is the one you get at the grocery store.

Maggie

The Austin's wrote:

> After reading all the replies on "what is alum" I have another question.
> What EXACTLY is the difference between the alum you get at the grocery store
> and what you buy at the art supply store? BTW - another bit of trivia on
> alum: you can soak your pond plants in it and kill all snails, fish eggs,
> and any other bad stuff! :-)
> ~Michal

---