Re: value

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 07:55:10 PDT

I read a good article in Artist magazine last night (a parent gave me five
years' worth) that was about an art professor who studied 100 old master
paintings and determined that they used value in four ways: (except for two
unusual exceptions he didn't discuss)
1. a dominant light area in a dark ground
2. a dominant dark area in a light ground
3. a large light area and small dark area in a medium ground
4. a large dare area and small light area in a medium ground
The author then painted pictures using those four plans.
I think I may try this, I think it will help my kids see value in a more useful
way than the series of ten or twelve grays.

---