Using art appreciation as writing prompts in English class

---------

From: linda (lindwood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 04:44:01 PDT

HI all,
    I know I can count on you to help me out here! We have a program at
my school called "Art a la Carte," which is a parent docent led art
appriciation program. I am one of two advisors over the parents/program.
This program has been a BIG success for 12 years in my school. We have
about 60 parents signed up this year to take art history/appreciation into
the history classes to support history curriculum. Our tech person even
trains them in power point!!! THis year we have added AALC to Spanish
classes (crafts, precolumbian), and one of our 6th grade English teachers
wants to try it. One of her topics is art to inspire writing scary
stories at Halloween time. I can think of HORROR but not just scary. LOts
of horror comes to mind...Guernica, Scream, Fifth of May, and so on. What
would inspire just scary stories? Also, we will be taking nonobjective
abstraction into the english classroom and playing a neat word
association/writing prompt game that I played at our Contemporary Arts
Museum at a workshop called "My pet monkey could do that!". We looked at
nonobjective abstraction and wrote down the first noun, verb, adjective,
adverb to come to mind. Short of words like "stupid", "queer", "ugly",
"pretty". Just slightly deeper, please. We did this twice for the same
painting, then wrote a sentence, poem, or paragraph using these words and
any new ones that came to mind. It's been years, and I can still remember
part of a sentence I wrote about a big yellow background, black blobs
Motherwell..."The bear tiptoed softly in the secret yellow night." I
loved the secret yellow night part. Everyone of course had a different
sentence, though looking at the same painting. It was a painting that I
might have walked past and never looked twice at. Quite fun. ANyway, we
are doing that exercise with them. She also wants some Korean artwork to
compare to some contemporary American artwork to go with a novel about a
Korean family who emigrates to the US. To illustrate
changes/adaptations/rememberances. I know nothing of Korean artwork
except ceramics. DO any of you? And she would like to have something
British from Shakespeare's time. Renaissance British? Gotta look that
one up. You can email me off list if you wish. I just know you will have
some great ideas.

---