modernism resourse

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 20:06:22 PDT

I was doing a google search for images of Kandinsky for my continuing unit on modernist and postmodernist art (7th) when I discovered a great research paper on the topic, WITH ILLUSTRATIONS!

I thought others may be interested, so this is the link to the article titled Modernism by Christopher L. C. E. Witcombe: http://witcombe.sbc.edu/modernism/index.html

I don't know what the email list will do to them, but maybe these chapters will link, too:

1. Roots of Modernism

2. Art for Art's Sake
3. Modernism & Politics
4. Modernism & Postmodernism
5. The End of Art

I am doing a quick overview history of modern and post modern art with this group, which had a tendency to think that good art consisted only of realistic painting and sculpture. So over the past year they have been introduced to conceptual art at MassMOCA (Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art) , created a Goldsworthy inspired nature sculpture, created life sized plaster craft Segal people, they did Pollock drips, marble painting, string painting, etc, all in an effort to expand their acceptance of and thirst for new ideas. Now, each student will be responsible for a painting in the style of one modern art movement, with a short written explanation of how this movement fits into the context of modern art. This resourse will be great. Although I find it easy to read, with illustrated examples and clearly defined cause and effect steps of the art movements, I expect I'll paraphrase from it for the classes, so they can get the synthesis.

I hope others find this resourse as exciting as I do. It's a whole course in Modernism!

Mark