Re: First year advice/help/sanity :)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 18:54:54 PDT

> Lesley Glendenning wrote:
>
> Any advice you can pass along to me will be greatly appreciated. I am
> teaching at a very small school and I teach all of the grades
> Kindergarten through 12th. Are there any books that are really great
> to get ideas and help from?

I have used and enjoyed Helen Hume's book A Survival Kit for the
Secondary School Art Teacher. I believe she has one for middle school
teachers, also. Her book Art History and Appreciation Activites Kit has
been invaluable over the years, also. It comes with its own slides
(about 40 of them) so you can tie in art history with any of your
classes. Her books are published by The Center for Applied Research in
Education.

Your most valuable resource will be this list. It's a great place to
ask advice, share your ideas, and whine and complain unashamedly.

Finally, when you feel overwhelmed with all the minutiae of teaching,
just keep in mind "The kids come first." Do those tasks first which will
have the most immediate impact on your students. Administrivia can
wait.

Maggie

---