RE: courtyard help

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 16:02:52 PDT

Another suggestion and you have time to do it regarding plants and
benches. Our 5th graders have a plant sale each year the week before
Mother's Day. Many of our kids are very poor (total Title I school).
They bring cuttings, teachers get cuttings and pay for the potting soil.
We (the children and teachers) raise the plants from the fall till
spring. They learn about life cycles, responsibility, and pride by
taking care of the plants. When we sell them in May, the students vote
on items for the school. We price them very reasonably usually between
$1 - $5. They have purchased 4 fast growing shade trees for the
playground area (local varieties), 3 picnic tables, and a bench for the
school courtyard. Merchants allowed us to purchase the items at cost, so
the kids' money went farther. All the kids respect the items (Start
messing with them and they will jump all over you) and look forward to
the plant sale when they are in 5th grade.

Maybe you could pair up with a grade level, or service group to do a
similar project.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert