Re: hallway talks

---------

Wizzlewolf_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 15:53:22 PDT

In a message dated 9/24/02 5:39:58 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
mtucker@nashville.com writes:

> Like canines,
> direct eye contact with some people can be perceived as giving a direct
> invitation to battle it out.

Maggie,
Excellent advice. I didn't even comment on those students with social or
emotional issues. Since I work with the severely emotionally disturbed, I
have to be aware constantly of physical and visual cues from all my students.
These are the type of kinds that will punch you or throw a chair at you
because they don't like the color of your shirt. Anyway if I am having some
difficulty with them, eye contact is the last thing on my mind. In fact, much
of my training has told me to do the opposite. Looking away sometimes while
expressing the behavior you desire of the student is sometimes much more
beneficial, as well as safer.
wizzle

Sheree Rensel
BFA, MFA, NBCT