Re: hallway talks

---------

Wizzlewolf_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 12:19:17 PDT

In a message dated 9/23/02 10:25:57 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us writes:

> First thing...make eye contact. If they are not looking at your face, they
> are not listening.

This is not necessarily true and brings to mind that all advice given about
teaching situations should be taken on a case-by-case basis. There are
circumstances when speaking with individual students who due to cultural
differences intentionally do not make eye contact. It is an insult in Asian
cultures to look at someone in the eye. Likewise, some African American
students find direct eye contact to be confrontational.
Coming from an American background with European ancestry, I understand what
you mean by this. However, it is not applicable in all cases.
wizzlewolf

Sheree Rensel
BFA, MFA, NBCT
<A HREF="http://www.wizzlewolf.com/rensel.html">Sheree Rensel - Artist</A>