Re: anti-violence mural suggestions

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 08:51:06 PDT

Holly Lynn,
I e-mailed your request to my Art for Children college class. So far I
have one anti-violence mural suggestion to pass on. Hopefully, more will
take the challenge.

Idea:
Design the mural to be created out of student names produced by each
student signatory to the project. Students each write their own names in
color on pieces of brightly colored paper to be collaged onto the mural.
They are arranged to form the outlines, the values, and the colors of eyes
and ears (The "Eyes and Ears of a Caring Community"). Collage works as a
group project because arrangement can be done by consensus, withholding
glue until arrangement on the floor has been negotiated satisfactorily.
Have them stand up on chairs to see the layout on the floor from a bit of
distance.

Additionally, you might have the students make lists to come up with
appropriate symbols to represent anti-violence and/or peace (such as
flowers, doves, etc). Maybe the eyes and ears could form symbols. Or,
have them also names to create the symbols. If needed, names can be
repeated to get enough material to complete the project. Use bright
colors. Put together a larger mural by combining parts that are created by
each student group or classroom group. Each year new parts and names are
added to the wall by Collaging more sections made by new students who wish
to join.

This idea is from Suzi Arsenevic, student, Goshen College. e-mail:
suzanara@goshen.edu
I hope this helps get things going. We would love to see a photo of
whatever you decide to do.
Marvin Bartel

At 05:45 AM 9/21/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello! I am in need of some suggestions. About two years ago, our middle
>school started deveoping an anti-violence program. As part of the program
>the students were asked to sign a "peace pledge"...Here is a portion: "I
>pledge to be part of the solution to end youth violence...I will not use
>words or actions which hurt others...I will serve as the eyes and ears of
>a caring community within my school and report any information that leads
>me to believe that someone else might hurt themselves or others......" It
>is a voluntary signing, one that we asked them to think through as it is
>more than a pledge, it is a commitment.
>My principal asked to me to help in figuring out a way to list the names
>of students who sign the pledge...a display/mural in the school that I'm
>assuming can be changed/added to each year. We hadn't come up with
>anything and the project was put off. Well, it's time I got it in gear and
>did something with it. I wondered if any of you might have some helpful
>suggestions as to how we could do this. We have the wall space, but I do
>not have mural experience. Thanks for reading!

---