RE: What are you recycling into art?

---------

From: Sandra E. Rowland (serowland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 14:34:09 PDT

I did a lesson a few years ago student teaching with an Art I class. The
idea was to associate art with telling a story and to get the kids to
really look at art and analyze. First, I had the students research any
piece of art and the artist. The students then presented a story to go
with the artwork. They were all very interesting stories and the
students really got into it. Then we made a book to fit into a box
(accordion style). The box was the cover of the book. Most students used
jewelry boxes, but the more interesting ones were the tiny tin boxes and
one compact with a broken mirror. One student did a brilliant one with a
CD cover. My cooperating teacher loved the lesson. Now I am teaching
elementary and that lesson is a bit too much for my kids.

Sandra in Alabama (who may be looking for a mid year teaching position
in the Boston area soon. Help!!)

Speaking of discs in the mail, who has an idea for those great tin boxes
that AOL is currently mailing out? I can't stand to throw them away!

Sue E. Stewart
Sumner High School

---