Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.

Find Lesson Plans on getty.edu! GettyGames

RE: What are you recycling into art?

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 18:21:32 PDT


I know I sound like a broken record with this, but please be careful
using anything that once contained peanuts/peanut butter/peanut oil.
Those of us that are allergic, tend to be very allergic to any form of
peanuts. Simply touching something with traces of oil is enough to send
me to the hospital for 3 different shots and 72 hours of medication that
puts me in orbit around Pluto. With elementary students and younger
simply smelling peanuts can cause a dangerous reaction. It happened to
me in a circus themed restaurant and at the beginning of school in
happened to a 5th grader in the room next door.

It might not occur to anyone to warn the art teacher about such an
allergy, and some kids are afraid to speak up. After I nearly died in
preschool my parents taught me, to walk out of the room and insist on
speaking to my parents.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert

 

---