Re: Clay slab warping

---------

From: Numo Jaeger & Michael Miller (jaegmil_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 00:02:21 PDT

In addition to slowly drying slabs to assist in the elimination of warping
you can place weights on the top of the piece in the kiln during the bisque
firing. I have used small posts on areas that have curly up slightly while
drying with an excellent success rate. Load the piece into the bisque kiln
and place posts on the slightly raised areas. Some slumping will occur
during and after the quartz-inversion period. This can remove the
problematic curled up edges especially on a piece that has quite a bit of
high relief textures which would be difficult to deal with between boards
or sheetrock sheets.
Numo

---