Re: rainsticks

---------

From: mike delaney (edelaney_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 12:01:57 PDT

 I made rainsticks with my 9th graders. We do not have a cly extruder. Used
Paer tubes from papertowels. I had them wrap one sheet of paper around
tube. One piece of tape. Rolled out slab, wrapped and joined around tube.
Put on bottom. Dry with hairdryer or I sdend them tor estroom to dry with
hand dryers. They have all been responsible so far. Then put away. I have
all put in cardboard box together. They support each other. Pull out the
paper tubes to be reused in next class. Cover box with plastic bag- ( day
2 )- form are drier, pre-leatherhard.. Add top to form. May sculpt a head
and turn into a creature with a long body, add decorations with addition
method, carve into. when rainstick is finished add nails. Approximately
20-25. Cut a hole in bottom to add gravel after firing. I fire to cone o4-
either glaze them or paint. When finished use aquarium gravel or gravel
fromoutdoors. Cover hole with tape then glue felt or cardboard to bottom.
They sound beautiful.

---