brush storage.....

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 08:55:58 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

You know....I'm still trying to figure out the logic of storing brushes
laying down flat as opposed to standing them brush-side up to dry. I know
everyone has their favorite way...as in all things...but I'm having trouble
grasping the sideways method as I ponder it. I'm certain open to new ideas
on this.

My logic:
If kids wipe their brushes off on clean white paper next to the can, there
IS no water to run down the ferrule of the brush. It stays dry in proper
position with brush-side up to air dry. Some kids will EVEN remember to
"point" their brush tip with their fingers...if I'm lucky.

If kids lay DOWN the brush sideways, any moisture will remain underneath the
brush to seep into the ferrule...even including the moisture from a paper
towel if you lay them on that. As I picture it in my mind's eye, I would
imagine you would have a LOT more moisture getting under the ferrule.

Laying them all down together with the intention of washing them all later
after the class leaves seems to be defeating the purpose of the students
learning how to clean up brushes/materials properly which I think is an
important life skill learned in the artroom. AND...I'm just too lazy to wash
up after them.

This is probably one of those "my way, your way" kind of differences that
will never get resolved but as I ponder it on an early Saturday morn, it
seems to fit my depth of worldly thoughts, yawn.
Toodles.....Bunki

---