Re: Pop Art

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 20:46:33 PDT

> I have been assigned a pop art class that meets once a week for the whole
> year. Has anyone else had to teach this for the whole year? What artists do
> you include?

Wow. What a curious class. What grade level? deb...teaching in special
education environment
Is this a gifted class?

What are the goals and objectives of this class? What is the curriculum?

It's not what artist's to include, but what is POP ART? What an opportunity
to investigate popular culture. Certainly the artists are not hard to find,
but the intention seems to me to be the teaching point. Don't limit
yourself by "in the style of" assignments. Have your students investigate
the motivations and intentions of the 60's pop artists and have them apply
those observations to the notions of popular imagery today.

All of those Pop artists had a rebellious spirit and keen observation of
conditions that surrounded them. Cultivate that investigation, cultivate
the observation... look at the tools they used, look at how they manipulated
the tools that they had to use why did Warhol use the soup can? why did
Rauchenberg pick up things from the garbage? why did Wesselman look at
billboards? why did Lichenstein use comic strips? ask the questions
and you will have plenty of activities.

A whole year to investigate popular culture. I'm jealous.

Patty

---