Re: Michele, value, NY and Sid Miller empty bowls

---------

From: danna fuller (danna_fuller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 13:34:47 PDT

Hi, Michele from NY looking for ideas for teaching value to kids who "have to" take art: how about getting some lamps with clamps, mounting them on posts (I use whatever I have including easels for mounts) and have the light directed on the faces of some of your students as models, ask them to draw each other. . .? My students love to do this. The direct light sources can be placed so that there is more than one source on the subject. Some basics of design principals might be helpful to start. Here's another thing you can try, also with clamp lights as source of light: Have them wad up white paper, shine the light source on it, and have them draw it. With my kids, (mine are younger) I sometimes start with white cubes built from paper by the kids.
To Sid Miller, re: Empty Bowls: Thank you very much, Sid, your thoughts are exactly the kind of expertise I am looking for!