Re: Matting Question

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 12:10:55 PDT

For my serious framing I only use Crescent 100 rag mats. They are in a range
of lovely whites. Since I'm not in a situation where I can build frames right
now, (or even when I was) I like the Neilsen series 97 (the very squared one)
as the best looking sectional metal, I especially like the brushed steel if
they still have it, for its industrial look, and the blacks for drawings. It
is available in many art-supply catalogs at about the same price I could get
it wholesale when I was framing for a living. The creamy colored crescent 100
would look better with the black, and an ivory with the steel. This frame
should hold up well against whatever college students will be hanging the
show.

For cheap and temporary framing like for short-term showing, I'm ok with the
Gallery Frames from Dick Blick. They come in convenient sizes and include
cardboard backing (for temporary use only!) and thin acrylic glazing. I have
also used their pre-cut mats that fit. Cheap and convenient but good looking
for an emergency, and the bendy tabs on the back make them a great choice if
you need to take stuff in ond out of frames. I think they come in black.

For charcoal you definitely need a mat, you won't want it up against the glass
or plexi, and I think gallery clips look pretty tacky. Spring for a decent,
simple, frame, it really makes a difference.

If you are cutting your own mats, make it good and wide, like three inches.
This looks especially good with the rag. Nothing kills a framing job like mats
that look like you were trying to save a few pennies.