Re: value

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 20 2002 - 09:12:14 PDT

Michele Berlin wrote:

> I am looking for a new approach to teach value to my high school art
> appreciation students. Keep in mind these students are in the class
> because they have to be to graduate. (In NYC they need a semester of art
> and a semester of music). So they are not all confident in their art
> skills.

Michele,

I copped this idea from someone on the list; I apologize to the
originator for not remembering her name. This is a good assignment for
mastering value and pencil technique, but relieves the students of
"drawing something."

On a 9x12 piece of paper, draw five straight lines and two circles or
arcs. Not all the lines have to go all the way all the way to edges of
the paper. The students should attend to creating a composition with a
variety of shapes and sizes, which result from drawing the lines.
Select one small section and begin filling it in with a graded value.
Move on to an adjacent section and fill it in also with a graded value.
The values along the boundaries between sections should contrast with
each other.

These come out really nice. I had some ribbon winners at a regional
show with some. If you like to intro other artists' work in your
introductions, Picasso and Braques did similar drawings.

Maggie

---