computers and art

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 16:13:17 PDT

I did a lesson with 3rd grade that was very successful last year and
I'm going to uses it with 3rd,4th, and 5th this year as a sub lesson
while I am gone for 3 weeks to Japan. (You know the horrors of having a
sub in art-think of three weeks-before Christmas!!!) Anyway, I did power
points on several artists who are known for still life work. I made a
small poster of each artist with their name and a few examples of their
work. I let the students sign up for the artist they wanted to research.
When we went to the computer lab - I took the whole class during their
regular art time- they worked in groups and viewed the powerpoint. They
had a worksheet to complete about the artist with the usual things--
name,dates, country, etc.. I asked them to include a quote by the artist
and then as a group they got to choose one of the images to print. I put
the groups' papers all in a folder and passed them back out during their
next class. Their assignment was to create a poster for their artist
including the important information they found on the power point. The
rubric for the assignment used things like neatness, had required info,
exciting etc... They glued the image they had printed on the poster. At
the next class time each group got to present their poster. Since each
group had a different artist we all learned something and the lesson
worked really well. I'm planning to do it again this year but use the
table artists. I think even a sub could handle it and the great thing is
she'll have the computer aide to help and she worked with me before. Of
course you have to spend a lot of time preparing the powerpoints but
including exactly what you want helps the students to be successful.
Woody helped me figure out that I could save the powerpoint to a cd so
it was easy to transport and load the powerpoints from home. The site
www.artcylcopedia.com was really helpful for finding all the images. I
tried to include a self portrait or photo of each artist if I could find
one.
         Jeryl in SC

---