Re: Mask making ideas

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilensk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 14:49:12 PDT

Here is a project I used to do years ago that might fit the bill. I bought a batch of black plastic "lone ranger" type masks from an import company (Oriental Trading) and purchased a bunch of feather dusters from the local dollar store. I then took apart the dusters (they are wired together) and the kids glued the feathers on the mask in overlapping patterns to form spectacular feathered mardi gras styled masks. I used thick craft glue and hot glued stubborn areas. The masks can be decorated with plastic gems and glitter for pizzaz. These are not only colorful, but they are wearable. The
project was very inexpensive. I have since changed that project into a paper mache activity using the same masks, but now have the ablility to model in three dimensions with great results. Hope this helps,
Jerry

---