Re: mask making ideas?

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 15:28:38 PDT

I do this. I use regular 12x18" drawing paper, folded in 1/2 and glued for
double thickness. You can also use tagboard. By the time you glue on the
twisted crepe paper they become very sturdy. Last year I had a new principal
and when she walked in and saw the kids using mixers she started to panic.
Luckily she chose to let me prove her wrong (she just knew some boy - and
probably her own- would stick his finger in the beater and chop it off). As
she watched the organized chaos she decided that if she ever tired of being
a principal she would teach art! :-) Here is the link to my finished masks.
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids/artlessons/sixth/masks.html
~Michal

> I know someone on this list does masks covered in tightly twisted colored
> ropes of crepe paper streamers. She and her students twist the streamers
> using an electric, hand-held mixer. However, I can't remember what the
base
> of the mask is, and I can't remember who does these. Anyone know? Also,
> someone (Bunki? When in doubt, say Bunki) does wonderful repousse metal
> masks.
>
> Leah

---