RE: A R T C L U B .... ~need ideas, please~

---------

From: Rebecca Stone-Danahy (RebeccaStoneDanahy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 15:30:25 PDT

I have my students carve pumpkins. If they clean out the guts at home (and bring in the seeds as I will toast them for the class) and bring in the pumpkin you don't have to use knives. The students can use sgraffito pens and poke holes and "pop" out their shapes. They have to create an original pattern first on paper. Then tape the paper to the pumkin. Use the sgraffitio pen to poke holes and "voila"! I have had great success with this and the students love it. I then do a display in my room for the lower grades to come in and parade through the lit pumpkins with Halloween music playing.

It's just a different way to explore negative vs. positive space and problem solve how to have positive areas in the middle (and not fall out).

Check out the Url www.pumpkinmasters.com

They have great ideas and instructions for the students to look at for inspiration.

Becky in NC

PS. Don't keep the pumpkins for longer than a few days unrefrigerated....they really can stink!