mask making ideas?

---------

From: Tria Wood (tria_wood_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 12:53:34 PDT

Hi, all. I'm new to the list.

I'm volunteering as Programs Coordinator for an arts-based nonprofit in Houston, TX. We conduct art & theater workshops in which middle school youth (including at-risk and potentially at-risk youth) work with adult mentors on various projects.

To go with a Halloween theme, we're holding a half-day workshop on mask-making in late October. We are borrowing space to hold the workshop from an area theater, so we need to make this as mess-less a process as possible (no papier-mache, little or no paint) so that we don't lose the theater's good graces. I'm hoping that you wonderful people can help me with ideas for making/decorating masks without too much oozy gooey wet stuff!

I'd love to incorporate Dia De Los Muertos themes, too, since the majority of youth in our program are Hispanic.

Thanks for your ideas!

-Tria Wood