Fine Arts Club...

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 18 2002 - 05:23:09 PDT

We started a fine arts club this year. Accomplishing it thru departments.
Met during the summer with a number of teachers and it includes the band
department, drama and theater, general music, and the visual arts. Also
included were a board member and few community individuals. We have our own
t-shirts now...and started the year off with students electing their own
officers.

We are designing three 10' x 15' signs that will be erected at each end of
town for which a major road comes in, welcoming visitors. These signs came
from the prodding of our local Lions Club, and will fetch about $950 each.
Not a bad fund raiser then to start our club off. WE are going to put
together small groups of student musicians to raise money playing small
gigs, such as sweetheart things in February.

This Christmas, we are planning on a trip to Milwaukee where for $139 per
student they get to stay two nights in the Hilton hotel, take in the
Milwaukee Art Museum, a Nutcracker Sweet ballet, a place at the Pabst
Theater- "The Christmas Carol" and one other production. Should be fun.

Thus far in our small school, we have 17 students as members. Our intention
is to give kids in a small north woods region some exposure to the arts in
its varying form, that ordinarily would not get such opportunities.
Planning on see a play or perhaps a musical at the Weidner Center in Green
Bay at the University. So, our plate will be pretty full. Each month...one
of the teachers and departments hosts being the host teacher or advisor for
the club. Which means the student club meeting will be held in our
subsequent rooms.

Larry S.
http://www.artlandishconcepts.org

---