Resources on identity needed

---------

From: Linda O'Mara (lindarto2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 19:53:58 PDT

Hi,

     I am an art therapist, and I would like to add an educational component
with a group of children I work with on a regular basis, ages, approx.,
7-12, in an emergency shelter situation.

     I am in need of suggestions for materials to use to introduce them to
artisits who have used their art as a vehicle to come to understand and/or
express their identity...personal stories. I would like to expose them to a
variety of artists and media, so that they may use this as a springboard for
some of their own work toward therapeutic art goals...in regard to their
experience and identity issues. Preliminary searches have led me to
consider R. Beardon, J. Lawrence, F. Ringhold...as a large portion of my
population is African American, but I do not want to limit exposure to any
one ethnic group..

      I am looking for some background information for me....that I might
easily translate into brief periods of presentation to these small groups...

.....ideas for book, slides, prints...kits (if such exist) that I might
easily lead these children by example into their personal art process.

.....I have received some grant money to purchase such supplies. I don't
want to waste money on materials that are not so good...and I am hoping that
some of you will have some suggestions...from personal experience. I do
not have a lot of time to search out and purchase before I am expected to
begin.

     Thank you, in advance for any assistace you may be able to offer.

                                          Linda