Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Resources on identity needed

From: Linda O'Mara (lindarto2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 19:53:58 PDT

     I am an art therapist, and I would like to add an educational component
with a group of children I work with on a regular basis, ages, approx.,
7-12, in an emergency shelter situation.

     I am in need of suggestions for materials to use to introduce them to
artisits who have used their art as a vehicle to come to understand and/or
express their identity...personal stories. I would like to expose them to a
variety of artists and media, so that they may use this as a springboard for
some of their own work toward therapeutic art regard to their
experience and identity issues. Preliminary searches have led me to
consider R. Beardon, J. Lawrence, F. a large portion of my
population is African American, but I do not want to limit exposure to any
one ethnic group..

      I am looking for some background information for me....that I might
easily translate into brief periods of presentation to these small groups...

.....ideas for book, slides, prints...kits (if such exist) that I might
easily lead these children by example into their personal art process.

.....I have received some grant money to purchase such supplies. I don't
want to waste money on materials that are not so good...and I am hoping that
some of you will have some suggestions...from personal experience. I do
not have a lot of time to search out and purchase before I am expected to

     Thank you, in advance for any assistace you may be able to offer.